TENS therapy has been used or is being studied to relieve both chronic (long lasting) and acute (short-term) pain. Some of the most common conditions for which TENS has been used include:
- Osteoarthritis (disease of the joints).
- Fibromyalgia (aching and pain in muscles, tendons, and joints all over the body, especially along the spine.
- Tendinitis (an inflammation or irritation of a tendon).
- Bursitis (inflammation of the fluid-filled sacs that cushion joints).
- Labor pain.
- Low back pain.
- Chronic pelvic pain.
- Diabetic neuropathy (damage to the nerves that connect the brain and spinal cord to the rest of the body).
- Peripheral artery disease (“hardening of the arteries” that circulate blood to the body).